The 2022 UCI Road World Championships will be a city-wide celebration of cycling and culture.
There will be lots of ways for the Wollongong community to get involved – including volunteering opportunities, and local sport and cultural events. More information will be released in 2022.
Major international sporting events like this one require extensive planning and operational support to be delivered safely for participants, spectators and the local community. The planning for Wollongong 2022 is well underway.
Over 8 days, 11 World Championship races will take place on public roads within the Wollongong Local Government Area.
In order for the races to use public roads and meet safety standards, there will be temporary road closures throughout the event.
This means there will be some changes to the way the city operates around the event period in terms of street access, on-street parking and service delivery including public transport.
This won’t be a normal week in Wollongong. The organising committee, Wollongong 2022, and Wollongong City Council are working closely together with NSW Government agencies and traffic management experts to minimise the impact so the community and visitors can continue to enjoy the city and the event.
- Races held over 8 days between 18 – 25 September 2022
- Races happen on a course that is closed to all public vehicles during race times
- There is no parking on any part of the courses during the road closures
- Emergency services are involved in event planning and emergency vehicles can access all areas at all times
- Pedestrian access is maintained to all areas of the course
- Roads will be progressively reopened daily when it safe to do so
- Every driveway and intersection on the course will be open before and after road closure times
- Congestion is expected on roads near the course throughout the event week – we’ll be asking the community to please plan ahead
- Safety is the top priority for the local community as well as athletes, officials, volunteers and spectators
More detailed road closure information will be available in the first half of 2022 along with a schedule of community information sharing activities.
For more information, see our Frequently Asked Questions and if you require further support please contact the local organising committee at email@example.com.